When I say divine, I mean divine. Like, words can't express how divine this cake actually is and I can't do it justice through words alone so you'll just have to do yourself and those around you a favour and try it out for yourself. This was my boyfie's birthday cake that I made for him just yesterday, and we devoured post delicious feed with his family; he requested a carrot cake and I happily obliged, because carrot cake has got to be one of my favourite types of cake out. This one is SO moist, so light, so perfectly cake-y, the ideal amount of sweet, and wonderfully spiced. I wish I could've taken a photo of the interior of the cake for you guys, but apparently it's rude to cut someone else's birthday cake purely for the sake of food styling... Devastating. I guess I'll just have to make it again sometime soon? Right? Right.

What you need:

1.5 cups of buckwheat flour
1/2 cup of raw sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bi-carb soda
1 tsp vanilla bean
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp all spice

1 small banana, mashed
3/4 cup of almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar (don't leave this out!)
1/3 cup of maple syrup
1/2 cup of carrot puree (I steamed 2 small carrots and whizzed them up)
1 grated carrot (approx 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup)
2/3 cup of walnuts

For the icing:

1 can of coconut cream, not shaken! The cheaper brands of coconut cream actually work better here because they tend not to have stabilisers etc, and therefore separate nicely
1 tsp vanilla bean
2 tsp of maple syrup

What you need to do:

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius. In a bowl, mash the banana before adding the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and soda, vanilla, spices, sugar, and grated carrot. Add the maple syrup and carrot puree to the almond milk mixture, mix well. Add the dry to the wet, begin to fold together, add the walnuts, and fold until just combined. Transfer to your cake pan, and bake for 40 minutes. Cook completely before icing (unless you want a puddle of coconut cream on your plate... nah).

For the icing, open your coconut cream and scoop out the top half of the can, leaving behind the watery stuff on the bottom. Add the vanilla and maple, and beat for 5-10 minutes until it's thickened up nicely. I just did this by hand using a fork. Pop into the fridge for an hour or two until it's set.